Starting in September 201, Frank Vogl will be serving as an adjunct professor as he teaches a course on 'Corruption, Conflict and Security' at Georgetown University in Washington DC, USA. A selection of reports of interest for students and professionals alike include the following (all of the following are either in pdf format and/or online):
A HANDFUL OF GOOD BOOKS TO START WITH -
Dirty Entanglements: Corruption, Crime, and Terrorism by Louise Shelley, (2014 - Cambridge University Press, 2014).
Corruption, Contention, and Reform: The Power of Deep Democratization by Michael Johnston (2014 - Cambridge, 2014).
Citizens Against Corruption – Report from the Front Line by Pierre Landell-Mills (2013, PTF/Matador)
Global Corruption: Money, Power and Ethics in the Modern World by Laurence Cockcroft (2012- University of Pennsylvania Press)
Corruption, Global Security, and World Order edited by Robert Rotberg (2009, Brookings)
UNMASKED - Corruption In The West by Laurence Cockcroft and Anne-Christine Wegener (I.B. Taurus 2016)
CORRUPTION - INTRODUCTION
Measuring Corruption and Other Indices
* Measuring Corruption - by Heinrich and Hodess.
* International Corruption Defined - by Lawrence Lessig.
* Center for Public Accountability - Zicklin Reports - corporate contributions in U.S. elections.
* Global Integrity Reports - see global, African and U.S. government data and reports.
* Global Terrorism Index - Economic Policy Institute.
* Freedom of the Press - Freedom House.
*Addressing Corruption Threats in International Interventions - a Transparency International Defense & Security report.
* Corruption: The unrecognized threat to international security. A report on a workshop hosted by the Carnegie Endowment.
* Peace and Corruption - Institute for Economics and Peace.
* Paul Collier on rebuilding broken states - his TED talk.
* Closing Space: Democracy and Human Rights - Carnegie.
* Integrity in Statebuilding - OECD by Karen Hussman
* A Statement of Vision - Transparency International.
* Corruption: Greed, Culture and the State - by Susan Rose-Ackerman.
* A Theory of Limits on Corruption - by M. S. Alam.
* Impact Report - TI's Fighting Justice.
* Ukraine - 2014 in graphics/data - background article from The Economist.
* Looting Ukraine - report from the Lagatum Institute, July 2014.
Corruption, Human Security, Rights & Justice
* Corruption as an International Crime Against Humanity - Ilias Bantekis.
* The Case for an International Anti-Corruption Court - Judge Wolf.
* Fighting Grand Corruption: Challenges and Successes - Transparency International.
* Report of the International Crime Hunters Alliance - 2012, World Bank.
* Why Anti-Corruption Reforms Fail - Anna Persson, Bro Rothstein, Jan Teorell.
* Integrity & Anti-Corruption by Richard Holloway - website
* Anti-Corruption Agencies - Transparency International
* Stimulating the Demand for Good Governance - Partnership for Transparency Fund
* Corruption and Education - Global Corruption report 2013
* Fighting Corruption to Advance 21st Century Health Goals - BMC Medicine journal 2016.
* Council of Europe 2016 Annual Anti-Corruption Report - GRECO - website - Council of Europe Convention on Corruption.
* African Progress Panel 2013 report - an excellent analysis of causes of absolute poverty in the resource-rich countries of sub-Saharan Africa.
* A Decade of African Governance 2006-2015 - Report, Index (Mo Ibrahim Foundation) & Press Release
* African Barometer 2015 - a comprehensive survey of the impact of corruption on Africans.
* Corruption: Myths & Realities by Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the Center for Global development, june 2007.
* Return of the Blood Diamond - Global Witness updates its landmark investigations.
* The Resource Curse - an analysis of the real costs of extractives.
* Egypt: Background and US Relations - US Congressional Research Service.
* Nigeria - Sarah Chayes of the Carnegie Endowment analyzes corruption, security and Boko Haram.
* Africa Between Hope and Despair - by David Piling, Financial Times, 2016.
* Genocide - Review of the 2016 book by professor Scott Straus.
Afghanistan and Iraq
* Iraq - hard Lessons from reconstruction experience - the 2009 report from the US Special Inspector General.
* Corruption in Conflict: lessons Learned from the U.S. Experience in Afghanistan - a report from the U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan, September 2016.
* Culture, Corruption, Crime, and Conflict - Eric B. Johnson, Transnational Crime and Corruption, George Mason University.
And two more good topical books with particular reference to Afghanistan are -
The Wrong Enemy - America in Afghanistan 2001 -2014 by Carlotta Gall (2014, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Thieves of State - Why Corruption Threatens Global Security by Sarah Chayes (2015, W.W. Norton)
* Vietnam - Bureaucracy Does Its Thing - Rand
*Citizens Against Corruption - India - PTF.
*See annual corruption survey and annual Afghan survey, as well as other anti-corruption research at The Asia Foundation.
Middle East & OIL
* 2016 Middle East Barometer - Transparency international.
* "Blood Oil" - book review.
* Guatemala Report - Center for American Progress - a case study on promoting prosecution of corruption crimes in a very difficult environment.
* The International Commission - Guatemala - an analysis of what has been achieved by the International Crisis Group.
* Latin America Under New Management - report from The Financial Times.
* video - Brazil's Judge Moro at the Wilson Center's Brazil Institute, July 2016.
Anti-Money Laundering and Banking
* The Costs of Luxury - Global Witness.
* TI overview report on Integrity in Banks.
* Financial Transparency - Raymond Baker, GFI President.
* Eliminating Large Denomination $ and Euro notes - Peter Sands.
* Keeping Foreign Corruption Out of the United States - 2010 Report from the US Senate's Committee on Investigations.
* Tax Abuses and Human Rights - the International Bar Association.
* Grave Secrecy - Global Witness.
* Keeping Foreign Corruption Out of the United States - report by U.S. Senate committee and Opening Statement by Senator Carl Levin.
*HSBC and Dirty Money - International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.
* Global Witness "Undercover" investigates lawyers in New York City - excerpts of this film were shown nationally in the United States on the CBS "60 Minutes" show.
Business and Economics
* Removing Impediments to Sustainable Development - by Augusto López Claros.
* Shell Corporate Code of Conduct - see section 3 on corruption
* Global Corruption Report -2016 - Transparency International.
A Personal Perspective on Corruption -
Cobus deSwardt, Managing Director, Transparency International