Starting in September 201, Frank Vogl will be serving as an adjunct professor as he teaches a course on 'Corruption, Conflict and Security' at Georgetown University in Washington DC, USA. A selection of reports of interest for students and professionals alike include the following (all of the following are either in pdf format and/or online):
A HANDFUL OF GOOD BOOKS TO START WITH -
Dirty Entanglements: Corruption, Crime, and Terrorism by Louise Shelley, (2014 - Cambridge University Press, 2014).
Corruption, Contention, and Reform: The Power of Deep Democratization by Michael Johnston (2014 - Cambridge, 2014).
Citizens Against Corruption – Report from the Front Line by Pierre Landell-Mills (2013, PTF/Matador)
Global Corruption: Money, Power and Ethics in the Modern World by Laurence Cockcroft (2012- University of Pennsylvania Press)
Corruption, Global Security, and World Order edited by Robert Rotberg (2009, Brookings)
Unmasked - Corruption in the West by Laurence Cockcroft and Anne-Christine Wegener (I.B. Taurus, 2016)
Waging War on Corruption - Inside the Movement Fighting the Abuse of Power by Frank Vogl ( Roman & Littlefield, updated paperback edition 2016)
CORRUPTION - INTRODUCTION
- United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
- G20 Action Plan 2017-2018 and G20 Implementation Plan
- G20 Anti-Corruption Working Group Interim Report 2017
- OECD Convention Against Bribery and OECD Corruption website
- The U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, 1977.
- On Combatting Corruption and Fostering Integrity, OECD, 2017
- London Summit - Communique - May, 2016. And, Declaration. Final statements by the United States, by the United Kingdom, by Nigeria, and by Afghanistan.
- United Nations Global Compact & Corruption
- Corruption, Greed, Culture and the State - Professor Susan Rose-Ackermann
- Culture, Crime, Corruption and Conflict - George Mason University
Measuring Corruption and Other Indices
- Measuring Corruption - by Heinrich and Hodess.
- Guide to institutions measuring corruption and/or governance.
- IMF Costs of Corruption.
- International Corruption Defined - by Lawrence Lessig.
- Center for Public Accountability - Zicklin Reports - corporate contributions in U.S. elections.
- Global Integrity Reports - see global, African and U.S. government data and reports.
- World Bank - World Governance Indicators.
- Introducing/explaining the World Bank indicators by its authors.
- *Global Peace Index Report 2016.
- World Justice Project - 2015 Rule of Law Index.
- Global Terrorism Index - Economic Policy Institute.
- Freedom in the World 2016 - Freedom House and see website.
- Freedom of the Press - Freedom House.
- Transparency International's 2016 Corruption Perception Index and CPI website.
*Addressing Corruption Threats in International Interventions - a Transparency International Defense & Security report.
* Corruption: The unrecognized threat to international security. A report on a workshop hosted by the Carnegie Endowment.
* Peace and Corruption - Institute for Economics and Peace.
* Paul Collier on rebuilding broken states - his TED talk.
* Closing Space: Democracy and Human Rights - Carnegie.
* Integrity in Statebuilding - OECD by Karen Hussman
* A Statement of Vision - Transparency International.
* Corruption: Greed, Culture and the State - by Susan Rose-Ackerman.
* A Theory of Limits on Corruption - by M. S. Alam.
* Impact Report - TI's Fighting Justice.
* Ukraine - 2014 in graphics/data - background article from The Economist.
* Looting Ukraine - report from the Lagatum Institute, July 2014.
Corruption, Human Security, Rights & Justice, & AID
- Corruption as an International Crime Against Humanity - Ilias Bantekis.
- Prosecuting Corruption as an International Crime - GOPAC.
- The Case for an International Anti-Corruption Court - Judge Wolf.
- Fighting Grand Corruption: Challenges and Successes - Transparency International.
- Report of the International Crime Hunters Alliance - 2012, World Bank.
- Why Anti-Corruption Reforms Fail - Anna Persson, Bro Rothstein, Jan Teorell.
- Integrity & Anti-Corruption by Richard Holloway - website
- Anti-Corruption Agencies - Transparency International
- Best Practices for Anti-Corruption Commissions - U4
- Stimulating the Demand for Good Governance - Partnership for Transparency Fund
- Women - Corruption - Insights from the Partnership for Transparency Fund - also see its project reports at PTF
- Sextortion overview - also see website of the International Association of Women Judges.
- Corruption and Education - Global Corruption report 2013
- Fighting Corruption to Advance 21st Century Health Goals - BMC Medicine journal 2016.
- CGD - Anti-Corruption $ AID - Savedorff
NORTH AMERICA & EUROPE
- US - Political Rigging - A report from OxfamAmerica 2017
- EU study on corruption costs.
- EU Commission Anti-Corruption Report 2014.
- Council of Europe 2016 Annual Anti-Corruption Report - GRECO - website - Council of Europe Convention on Corruption.
- Breaking the Ukrainian Procuracy - by Will Pomeranz.
- Carothers/Carnegie - U.S. Democracy at Risk
* African Progress Panel 2013 report - an excellent analysis of causes of absolute poverty in the resource-rich countries of sub-Saharan Africa.
* A Decade of African Governance 2006-2015 - Report, Index (Mo Ibrahim Foundation) & Press Release
* African Barometer 2015 - a comprehensive survey of the impact of corruption on Africans.
* Corruption: Myths & Realities by Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the Center for Global development, June 2007.
* Return of the Blood Diamond - Global Witness updates its landmark investigations.
* The Resource Curse - an analysis of the real costs of extractives.
* Egypt: Background and US Relations - US Congressional Research Service.
* Nigeria - Sarah Chayes of the Carnegie Endowment analyzes corruption, security and Boko Haram.
* Africa Between Hope and Despair - by David Piling, Financial Times, 2016.
* Genocide - Review of the 2016 book by professor Scott Straus.
Afghanistan and Iraq
* Iraq - hard Lessons from reconstruction experience - the 2009 report from the US Special Inspector General.
*Learning from Iraq - final reconstruction report.
* Afghanistan - April 2016 speech by the Special US Inspector General.
* Afghanistan - Testimony to the US Congress by the Special inspector General, April 2016.
* US Special Inspector General's 1st Quarter 2016 Afghan report - and website.
* Corruption in Conflict: lessons Learned from the U.S. Experience in Afghanistan - a report from the U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan, September 2016.
* Culture, Corruption, Crime, and Conflict - Eric B. Johnson, Transnational Crime and Corruption, George Mason University.
And two more good topical books with particular reference to Afghanistan are -
The Wrong Enemy - America in Afghanistan 2001 -2014 by Carlotta Gall (2014, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Thieves of State - Why Corruption Threatens Global Security by Sarah Chayes (2015, W.W. Norton)
- - Rand
- TI's Global Barometer - Asia 2016
- PTF's CARTA Program for monitoring development in Nepal and Bangladesh. Also see CARTA web.
- Citizens Against Corruption - India - PTF.
- *See annual corruption survey and annual Afghan survey, as well as other anti-corruption research at The Asia Foundation.
Middle East & OIL
* "Blood Oil" - book review.
* Guatemala Report - Center for American Progress - a case study on promoting prosecution of corruption crimes in a very difficult environment.
* The International Commission - Guatemala - an analysis of what has been achieved by the International Crisis Group.
* The Trial of Peru's form president Alberto Fujimori.
* Latin America Under New Management - report from The Financial Times.
* video - Brazil's Judge Moro at the Wilson Center's Brazil Institute, July 2016.
Anti-Money Laundering and Banking
- Illicit Financial Flows - report from Global Financial Integrity.
- TI-UK Corruption on Your Doorstep
- TI-UK "Paradise Lost" and "Safe Havens."
- The Costs of Luxury - Global Witness.
- US National Money Laundering Risk Assessment 2015.
- TI overview report on Integrity in Banks.
- US Senate report on HSBC and money laundering and see at website the US Republican House Financial Services report on "Too Big to Jail."
- Financial Transparency - Raymond Baker, GFI President.
- *Eliminating Large Denomination $ and Euro notes - Peter Sands.
- Keeping Foreign Corruption Out of the United States - 2010 Report from the US Senate's Committee on Investigations.
- Tax Abuses and Human Rights - the International Bar Association.
- Grave Secrecy - Global Witness.
- Keeping Foreign Corruption Out of the United States - report by U.S. Senate committee and Opening Statement by Senator Carl Levin.
- HSBC and Dirty Money - International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.
- Global Anti- Money-Laundering Survey 2014 - KPMG.
- Staying the Course in Banking - BCG
- Global Witness "Undercover" investigates lawyers in New York City - excerpts of this film were shown nationally in the United States on the CBS "60 Minutes" show.
Business and Economics
- World Bank's Doing Business Report 2016
- The "Volcker Report" on the World Bank's anti-corruption performance, 2007.
- Removing Impediments to Sustainable Development - by Augusto López Claros.
- Frank Vogl CIVICUS 2017 essay on civil society, business and corruption
- Notes from US Media 2016 on Executive Pay and Average Pay.
- World Economic Forum - Building Foundations Against Corruption.
- Shell Corporate Code of Conduct - see section 3 on corruption
* Global Corruption Report -2016 - Transparency International.
A Personal Perspective on Corruption -
Cobus deSwardt, Managing Director, Transparency International