Frank Vogl serves as an adjunct professor as he teaches a course on 'Corruption, Conflict and Security' at Georgetown University in Washington DC, USA. A selection of reports of interest for students and professionals alike include the following (all of the following are either in pdf format and/or online):
Global Corruption - an introduction, Frank Vogl, The Encyclopedia of Business and Professional Ethics (the full text can be provided by the author upon request)
A HANDFUL OF GOOD BOOKS TO START WITH -
Dirty Entanglements: Corruption, Crime, and Terrorism by Louise Shelley, (2014 - Cambridge University Press, 2014).
Corruption, Contention, and Reform: The Power of Deep Democratization by Michael Johnston (2014 - Cambridge, 2014).
Citizens Against Corruption – Report from the Front Line by Pierre Landell-Mills (2013, PTF/Matador)
Global Corruption: Money, Power and Ethics in the Modern World by Laurence Cockcroft (2012- University of Pennsylvania Press)
Corruption, Global Security, and World Order edited by Robert Rotberg (2009, Brookings)
Unmasked - Corruption in the West by Laurence Cockcroft and Anne-Christine Wegener (I.B. Taurus, 2016)
Waging War on Corruption - Inside the Movement Fighting the Abuse of Power by Frank Vogl (Roman & Littlefield, updated paperback edition 2016)
CONVENTIONS & OFFICIAL PLEDGES
- Corruption is one of the gravest threats to human rights and to everything that the world community has understood over the last 70 years by these rights - The United Nations Declaration of Human Rights
- United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
- G20 Action Plan 2017-2018 and G20 Implementation Plan
- G20 Anti-Corruption Working Group Interim Report 2017
- OECD Convention Against Bribery and OECD Corruption website.
- The U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, 1977.
- London Summit - Communique - May, 2016. And, Declaration. Final statements by the United States, by the United Kingdom, by Nigeria, and by Afghanistan.
- United Nations Global Compact & Corruption
2016 IMF anti-corruption framework.
INTRODUCTION TO CORRUPTION
- 20 Years of Transparency International - Video Discussion
- OECD Secretary-General, March 28, 2018 - 2018 OECD Global Anti-Corruption & Integrity Forum: Planet Integrity: Building a Fairer Society. OECD on governance.
- On Combatting Corruption and Fostering Integrity, OECD, 2017
- Corruption, Greed, Culture and the State - Professor Susan Rose-Ackermann.
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Corruption - Professor Robert Klitgaard
- Culture, Crime, Corruption and Conflict - George Mason University
- Is The U.S. Giving Up On Supporting Democracy Abroad? - Thomas Carothers.
- Can We Make Anticorruption Sustainable? - Delia Ferreira Rubio
- Measuring Corruption - by Heinrich and Hodess.
- Guide to institutions measuring corruption and/or governance.
- IMF Costs of Corruption.
- International Corruption Defined - by Lawrence Lessig.
- The CPA-Zicklin Index benchmarks the political disclosure and accountability policies and practices of leading U.S. public companies.
- Global Integrity data: Africa Integrity Indicators; U.S. state integrity investigations; country information from the Governance Data Alliance.
- Colombia University Law School, Center for Public Integrity, U.S. state-by-state anti-corruption survey.
- World Bank - World Governance Indicators.
- Introducing/explaining the World Bank indicators by its authors.
- Institute for Economics and Peace: Global Peace Index 2018.
- World Justice Project: Rule of Law Index 2017-2018.
- Freedom House: Democracy in Crisis - World Freedom 2018.
- Freedom House: Freedom of the Press 21017.
CONFLICT and SECURITY
(see additional sections below on several individual countries)
Sir Paul Collier on New Rules for Rebuilding a Broken Nation - his TED talk.
April 2018 LSE-Oxford Commission on Fragile States report -https://www.theigc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Escaping-the-fragility-trap.pdf
Closing Space: Democracy and Human Rights - Carnegie.
Transparency International Defense & Security reports: Understanding the relationship between corruption and security: The Fifth Column; Addressing Corruption Threats in International Interventions; in fragile states - Mission Made Possible.
Kleptocratic Regimes and National Security - conference report published by TRACC - also see news updates from the Terrorism, Transnational Crime and Corruption Center at George Mason University.
Integrity in Statebuilding - OECD by Karen Hussman.
CORRUPTION, HUMAN SECURITY, RIGHTS, JUSTICE, HEALTH, AID.
- Corruption as an International Crime Against Humanity - Ilias Bantekis.
- Prosecuting Corruption as an International Crime - GOPAC.
- The Case for an International Anti-Corruption Court - Judge Wolf.
- Fighting Grand Corruption: Challenges and Successes - Transparency International.
- Report of the International Crime Hunters Alliance - 2012, World Bank.
- Why Anti-Corruption Reforms Fail - Anna Persson, Bro Rothstein, Jan Teorell.
- Integrity & Anti-Corruption by Richard Holloway - website
- Anti-Corruption Agencies - Transparency International
- Best Practices for Anti-Corruption Commissions - U4
- Stimulating the Demand for Good Governance - Partnership for Transparency Fund
- Women - Corruption - Insights from the Partnership for Transparency Fund - also see its project reports at PTF
- Corruption and Education - Global Corruption report 2013
- Fighting Corruption to Advance 21st Century Health Goals - BMC Medicine journal 2016.
- Results Not Receipts - by Charles Kenny, Center for Global Development.
- CGD - Anti-Corruption $ AID - Savedorff
- Sextortion overview - also see website of the International Association of Women Judges.
A Theory of Limits on Corruption - by M. S. Alam.
NORTH AMERICA & EUROPE
- Polarization in American politics - Professor James Thurber, Co-editor of "American Gridlock: The Sources, Character and Impact of Political Polarization," Cambridge.
- Corruption in America - from Benjamin Franklin's Snuff Box to Citizens United --author Zephyr Teachout, Harvard.
- Thomas Mann & Norman Ornstein - "Its Even Worse Than It Looks " Perseus Press.
- US - Political Rigging - A report from OxfamAmerica 2017
- Carothers/Carnegie - U.S. Democracy at Risk.
- See Center for Public Integrity reports - e.g. 2017 By the Numbers - Money and Politics.
- See Center for Public Accountability reports - e.g. U.S. corporate engagement in politics.
- Senator Bernie Sanders - Getting Money Out of Politics.
- Transparency International EU reports - e.g. INTEGRITY WATCH.
- EU study on corruption costs.
- Special EU Barometer - October 2017 - December 2017.
- EU Commission Anti-Corruption Report 2014.
- The Fight Against Corruption in Europe - GRECO- website - Council of Europe Convention on Corruption.
- Reports by TI Ukraine.
- Ukraine - 2014 in graphics/data - background article from The Economist.
- Looting Ukraine - report from the Lagatum Institute, July 2014.
- Breaking the Ukrainian Procuracy - by Will Pomeranz.
- "Putin's Kleptocracy - Who Owns Russia?" - by Professor Karen Dawisha, Simon & Schuster.
- Countering Russian Kleptocracy and other reports from the Kleptocracy Initiative at the Hudson Institute.
- IMF Ukraine 2016 paper and
IMF Ukraine report.
* African Progress Panel 2013 report - an excellent analysis of causes of absolute poverty in the resource-rich countries of sub-Saharan Africa.
* A Decade of African Governance 2006-2015 - Report, Index (Mo Ibrahim Foundation) & Press Release
* African Barometer 2015 - a comprehensive survey of the impact of corruption on Africans.
* Corruption: Myths & Realities by Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the Center for Global development, June 2007.
* Return of the Blood Diamond - Global Witness updates its landmark investigations.
* The Resource Curse - an analysis of the real costs of extractives.
* Egypt: Background and US Relations - US Congressional Research Service.
* Nigeria - Sarah Chayes of the Carnegie Endowment analyzes corruption and security – also see Boko Haram.
* Africa Between Hope and Despair - by David Piling, Financial Times, 2016.
*Genocide - Review of the 2016 book by professor Scott Straus.
Afghanistan and Iraq
* Iraq - hard Lessons from reconstruction experience - the 2009 report from the US Special Inspector General.
*Learning from Iraq - final reconstruction report.
* Afghanistan - April 2016 speech by the Special US Inspector General.
* Afghanistan - Testimony to the US Congress by the Special inspector General, April 2016.
* US Special Inspector General's 1st Quarter 2016 Afghan report, and its April 2018 special report on the World Bank and Afghanistan; and website.
* Corruption in Conflict: lessons Learned from the U.S. Experience in Afghanistan - a report from the U.S. Special Inspector General for Afghanistan, September 2016.
* Culture, Corruption, Crime, and Conflict - Eric B. Johnson, Transnational Crime and Corruption, George Mason University.
- Some key books that provide context and detail on the U.S. engagement in Afghanistan and the key issues of governance and corruption include: “Directorate S – The CIA and America’s Secret Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan,” by Steve Coll, Penguin Press, Carlotta Gall - “The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan, 2001-2014;” Joshua Partlow’s “A Kingdom of Their Own – The Family Karzai And The Afghan Disaster;” and, Sarah Chayes’s “Thieves of State – Why Corruption Threatens Global Security.”
- TI's Global Barometer - Asia 2016
- PTF's CARTA Program for monitoring development in Nepal and Bangladesh. Also see CARTA web.
- Citizens Against Corruption - India - PTF.
- *See annual corruption survey and annual Afghan survey, as well as other anti-corruption research at The Asia Foundation.
- Understanding President XI's anti-corruption drive in China - The Conversation.
- Prime Minister Modi and corruption in India - Scroll+
- Perspectives on corruption in Bangladesh - see TI reports.
- Malaysia's 1MDB scandal - the U.S. Justice Department's case.
Middle East & OIL
- Guatemala Report - Center for American Progress - a case study on promoting prosecution of corruption crimes in a very difficult environment.
- The International Commission - Guatemala - an analysis of what has been achieved by the International Crisis Group.
- When Corruption is the Operating System: The Case of Honduras - Sarah Chayes.
- How the Odebrecht scandal has shaken Latin America - an FDI report.
- The U.S. Department's case against Odebrecht.
- The Trial of former Peruvian president Fujimori.
- Latin America Under New Management - report from The Financial Times.
- video - Brazil's Judge Moro at the Wilson Center's Brazil Institute, July 2016.
- Argentina’s Reform Challenges – CSIS reports.
- Mexico’s Corruption Crisis – The Wilson Center.
Anti-Money Laundering and Banking
- Illicit Financial Flows - report from Global Financial Integrity.
- Proposed U.S. legislation 2017/2018 - The FACT Coalition
- TI-UK Corruption on Your Doorstep
- TI-UK "Paradise Lost" and "Safe Havens."
- The Costs of Luxury - Global Witness.
- US National Money Laundering Risk Assessment 2015.
- TI overview report on Integrity in Banks.
- US Senate report on HSBC and money laundering and see at website the US Republican House Financial Services report on "Too Big to Jail."
- Financial Transparency - Raymond Baker, GFI President.
- *Eliminating Large Denomination $ and Euro notes - Peter Sands.
- Keeping Foreign Corruption Out of the United States - 2010 Report from the US Senate's Committee on Investigations.
- Tax Abuses and Human Rights - the International Bar Association.
- Grave Secrecy - Global Witness.
- Keeping Foreign Corruption Out of the United States - report by U.S. Senate committee and Opening Statement by Senator Carl Levin.
- HSBC and Dirty Money - International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.
- Global Anti- Money-Laundering Survey 2014 - KPMG.
- Staying the Course in Banking - BCG
- Global Witness "Undercover" investigates lawyers in New York City - excerpts of this film were shown nationally in the United States on the CBS "60 Minutes" show.
Business and Economics
- World Bank's Doing Business Report 2016
- The "Volcker Report" on the World Bank's anti-corruption performance, 2007.
- Removing Impediments to Sustainable Development - by Augusto López Claros.
- Frank Vogl CIVICUS 2017 essay on civil society, business and corruption
- Notes from US Media 2016 on Executive Pay and Average Pay.
- World Economic Forum - Building Foundations Against Corruption.
- Shell Corporate Code of Conduct - see section 3 on corruption
- The arms trade - video with Andrew Feinstein.
For topical articles on many of the above topics please see "blogs" on this website.